Aside from the obvious, plain old fashioned color preferences, there are a few things to consider when picking the color of roofing material you want on your home or business.
- Ask your Salem roofing contractor for sample books from several different manufacturers (GAF and Certainteed are great, if you’re considering shingles). If you’re considering an eco-friendly roof like an IB Roofing System membrane roof, a SteelROCK metal tile roof, or a Bruce & Dana Snaplock metal roofing system, larger sized samples can be provided as well.
- After you have found a few choices you like, ask your roofing company of choice if the colors you selected are available in your geographic area.
- Once you have decided on a small sample or two you like (that are available in your geographic area), ask your roofers to bring out a full-size sample of your favorite roofing materials.
- Put the samples up next to the trim on your house to see how well they go together. Something that’s important to remember is that “matching” isn’t in fashion anymore, even for roofs. You want to find colors that “go well” together, even if they aren’t a perfect match. If you are planning on doing serious home renovations, including revising the trim colors, bring a sample of your new trim to do the comparison to. You would be surprised how many times people forget this seemingly simple step!
- If you want to get a better idea of what the shingles or other roofing material will look like, ask your roofing contractors for an address of a home they recently completed with a similar roof. If you want to drive by and see what the roof looks like on an actual home, be sure to respect the homeowner’s privacy and space. Take a quick look and then leave, and don’t enter their property without permission.
- Many shingle manufacturers now offer free virtual remodeling services to help you get an idea of what the shingles look like as well. Here you can sample different GAF Roofing shingles. | Here, Certainteed offers a similar tool to allow you to sample different roofing materials on your home virtually.
Another thing to consider is that some homeowners associations (HOAs) have color requirements! If you are part of an HOA, be sure to check the guidelines for any limitations on roofing options.
Choosing a color is only one of the many choices homeowners have to make when it comes to choosing their roofing company, material type, warranty, and financing. Call (503) 585-2338 today to be put in touch with one of the best Salem roofers in the business. With over 75 years of combined experience, it makes no sense not to get a free roofing estimate from Slate & Slate Roofing.