Metal has always been a popular option for commercial buildings, and is growing in prominence for residential buildings as well. While the initial cost can be daunting, most people actually end up saving money in the end, as metal roofs are incredibly durable. There are many advantages of utilizing metal roofing materials.
- Expected life. When metal roofing is installed by an experienced roofing contractor and is properly taken care of, it will last as long as the structure. It will shed snow, seal out water, resist strong wind. Additionally, metal is not susceptible to mildew, rot, or insects.
- Ease & speed of installation. Metal roofing materials come in larger panels than other materials, making the installation process quick and relatively simple. This may also be an advantage if your roof is stripped by inclement weather or other issues, as your structure will be rendered functional more quickly by replacing it with metal.
- Weight. Metal is one of the most lightweight roofing materials available, and in some cases can even be installed over existing roof material. This also cuts down on the need for supporting beams or other structures.
- Heating and cooling. When metal roofing is installed properly by an experienced contractor, metal roofing will seal out cool air and minimize mid-day heat gain. This will save you on heating and cooling costs in the winter and summer.
- Maximum shedding of precipitation. One of the major benefits of metal roofing is that ice, snow, and water do not typically build up. It slides off easily and remains mostly impervious to damage. All that is needed for proper drainage is a very slight slope, which, again, will make installation relatively simple and fast.When it’s time for you to think about replacing your commercial or residential roof, keep in mind that metal may be worth the investment. For a free consultation, contact Slate & Slate Roofing.