Choosing the right roofing material for your project can save you a lot of money. Salem roofers have access to some of the most energy-efficient materials on the market, with local company IB Roofing, being based in Eugene.
Choosing the right roofing material is important for both residential and commercial roofs, but the cost of choosing the wrong roofing material as a commercial property owner can be much, much higher. This article will focus on helping our commercial roofing customers to pick the right kind of roofing material.
Let’s first talk about energy efficiency and potential savings. Did you know that the average Oregon business pays $460 per month in electricity expenses alone? Cool roofs, such as the highly reflective IB Roofing System PVC Membrane, can save anywhere from 10-20% in monthly energy costs. Let’s run the numbers. We’ll use a round 15% in monthly electricity savings. This would yield a $69 per month savings, which comes out to $828 per year. Our IB Roofs have 25-year TotalSystems warranties for commercial roofing applications. As per information from IB themselves, many of their roofs last over 30 years. Saving $828 per year for 30 years would lead to $24,840 in total cost savings. For many businesses, an IB roof could nearly pay for itself. Let’s not forget the LEED Credits and Energy Star certification.
There are many types of different roofing materials available to businesses and individuals, but here we’re going to highlight three of our favorite types of cost-saving roofing options: IB roofing for flat roofs and metal roofing for sloped roofs.
Here’s why we tend to prefer installing these options for our customers:
If you have a flat roofing project, find a Salem Roofing Contractor that can install IB Roof Systems products.
- These roofs require very little maintenance. Once it’s installed, it will be a reliable roof for decades to come. This means that you’ll save money on maintenance fees.
- These roofs are very reflective, so they can save you plenty of money on monthly utilities bills, as mentioned above.
- These roofs can hold some rainwater without becoming damaged. This is a very important thing for any roof in Oregon. Whether you’re in Salem, Portland, Wilsonville, or Stayton, your roof will see its fair share of rain!
- All of the pipe flashing, drains, and vents are welded directly to the roof and don’t rely on caulking or mastic to remain watertight.
- It is much lighter than hot asphalt roofing. It weights only 1 lb per square foot, versus the 2.5 lbs per square foot that asphalt weighs. This puts less strain on your building.
- It lasts longer than hot asphalt (BUR roofing), which means that you’ll save money in re-roofing costs over time as well.
- There’s a 25-year non-prorated warranty for commercial customers.
If you have a sloped roofing project, find a Salem Roofing Contractor that can install Bruce & Dana Snaplock Metal Roofs.
- Metal roofs are cool roofs as well. They will save you money on utilities costs as mentioned above too.
- Oregon can be very windy and can even see its fair share of hail in some areas. Metal is very durable in even the most inclement of weather conditions, and for that reason, it is a great option for Oregon roofing material.
- Metal roofs have lower maintenance requirements as well, largely in part due to the fact that moss doesn’t build up much on metal roofs. Moss is another major hazard for roofs in Oregon, especially in the Willamette Valley.
- Metal roofs are also lighter weight than other types of sloped roofing. This puts less strain on your building. It is about 1 lb per square foot, as opposed to the 2.5 lbs per square foot that other types of roofing material weight.
- There’s a 35-year non-prorated warranty on Bruce & Dana Painted Snaplock Metal Roofs.
A bonus option for businesses with sloped roofs would be the SteelROCK metal tile or metal shake roofing materials.
- SteelROCK roofs are made of steel and are as durable as stone. They offer Class-A fire resistance and Class-4 hail impact resistance. They’re also very durable in high wind!
- They are made of more durable and cost-effective material, but they have the look and feel of classic tile roofs or shake roofs (the choice is yours).
- These roofs are highly reflective in certain colors, which means that they have the same energy saving properties as the previous two options, which can save your business major money.
- These metal tiles are light-weight, weighing in at 1.5 lbs per square foot, as compared to the 2.5 lbs per square foot that many other types of sloped roofing weigh.
- There’s a 50 year non-prorated transferable warranty on SteelROCK metal roofing products.
Slate & Slate Roofing offers both residential and commercial roofing in Salem, Oregon and surrounding areas. For more information on the benefits of IB Roofing Systems materials or metal roofing, please give us a call today at (503) 585-2338 and we will gladly help you decide what type of roof is right for you.